Home > Health care

Some adults will move from MinnesotaCare to MA

Adults without children with incomes at or below 75 percent of the federal poverty guideline may qualify for Medical Assistance (MA) starting March 1. This is for individuals who do not have children under age 21 living with them and meet income limits of:

  • • $677 a month or $8,124 a year for one person
  • • $911 a month or $10,932 a year for a married couple.
  • Current MinnesotaCare enrollees who meet the new MA rules will get a notice (PDF) in the mail in February. The notice explains the change and what they need to do. Current enrollees should continue to go to their health plan providers for services. They will no longer need to pay a premium if they meet the new MA rules.

    More information is available at www.dhs.state.mn.us/MAexpansion.

    MinnesotaCare overview

    MinnesotaCare is a publicly subsidized program for Minnesota residents who do not have access to affordable health care coverage. The program serves an average of more than 100,000 people each month. It has been critical to Minnesota’s welfare reform strategy, helping people leave welfare and go to work without losing health care coverage.

    Most people are not eligible if their employer offers health insurance and pays at least half of the monthly cost. There are exceptions to this rule for some children.

    Most people who are eligible for MinnesotaCare pay a monthly premium, determined by a sliding-fee scale based on family size and income. There are exceptions for some military families and American Indians enrolled in the program. Many enrollees pay their premium online or ask to have their premium automatically taken from their bank account each month.

    All health care services are provided through health plans. People can choose which health plan they want from those offering MinnesotaCare coverage in their county.

    MinnesotaCare is funded by a state tax on Minnesota hospitals and health care providers, federal Medicaid matching funds and enrollee premiums.

    Applications can be sent to the state MinnesotaCare office or certain county offices that also administer the program.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links